Re: GNU licenses

From: mike4ty4
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: 3 Sep 2006 00:34:19 -0700

John Hasler wrote:
> David Kastrup writes:
> > But the one thing that you can't do is take his material and do with
> > it as you like without heeding its license.
>
> mike4ty4 writes:
> > But why forbid it?
>
> To increase the amount of Free software in the world.  You may choose not
> to participate.

Well, I can make both free and non-free software, at least I should be
able
to. I guess that means just to steer clear of GNU code for the non-free
projects. Which raises another question: What happens if I learn
something
from the GNU software, like a "trick" or a more efficient way of
programming
some algorithm? If I use that METHOD/KNOWLEDGE even if not the ORIGINAL

CODE does this mean I have to GNU?

> > ...if I use a GNU library with my non- GNU program, does this mean that I
> > have to GNU the whole thing or I'm breaking the license?
>
> If you incorporate GPL code into your program you must GPL the whole
> thing.  If you link to a LGPL library you do not.

OK...

> > It doesn't seem like a good deal to me...
>
> You are free to refuse it.

I guess I am.

> > why do you want to make other people's code free as a "price" for using
> > "free" code?
>
> Why do you want to make people give you money as a "price" for using your
> code?

Because I need the money, for one. One can't do much without money.