Re: GNU licenses

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 09:40:25 +0200

mike4ty4@yahoo.com writes:

> Wei Mingzhi wrote:
>> If you don't allow me using your code, then I don't allow you using
>> our code too. That's just fair.
>
> I don't know. To me it seems like a way to slowly strip owners of
> their rights to their original works.

There is nothing "slow" involved here.  If you use any copyrightable
part of GPL licensed software without negotiating a different license,
you are bound by the full GPL.  As with any other license.

> I can let you use my own code, but that does not mean I have to
> require you to give me yours (provided no GNU stuff is
> involved).

You set the conditions for other people using your _own_ code.  That
is the prerequisite of the copyright holder.

> Your code is your ORIGINAL WORK, and I don't see why I have to have
> you make it free to me.

You are free to license your _own_ software under any license you
want, including giving them into the Public Domain.

But it sounds like you are rather whining that you can't license your
own code under more restrictive terms, so this is just a bunch of
crocodile's tears, apparently.