Re: GNU licenses

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:06:10 +0200

John Hasler wrote:

> David Kastrup writes:
> > "I found it on some server" does not make you the owner of a copy in
> > any manner that "I found it on the street" makes you the owner of a
> > copy of a book.
>
> "Finding it on some server" involves creating a copy on your computer.  If
> you own the computer you own the copy.  Of course, you have no right to
> make copies of that copy, so the only way to transfer the copy is to sell
> your computer.

Uncle Hasler has spoken. Now,

http://www.copyright.gov/reports/studies/dmca/sec-104-report-vol-1.pdf

"There is no dispute that section 109 applies to works in digital
 form. Physical copies of works in a digital format, such as CDs or
 DVDs, are subject to section 109 in the same way as physical
 copies in analog form. Similarly, a lawfully made tangible copy
 of a digitally downloaded work, such as a work downloaded to a
 floppy disk, Zip™ disk, or CD-RW, is clearly subject to section
 109."

said www.copyright.gov.