Re: GNU licenses

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:52:31 +0200 (CEST)

   > So your legal position if you ignore whatever the GNU GPL states
   > is: copyright infrigment.

   Yes. Hence my conclusion that the statement in the GPL has no
   value.  Either I accept the GPL, in which case it's a truism (which
   has no value), or I do not accept the GPL, in which case my
   distribution by definition does not indicate my acceptance.

If you do not accept it, then you do not have any right to distribute
the work.

   Why does this matter? Well, if I accepted the GPL you can get a
   court order to make me abide by its terms. If I do not accept the
   GPL, you can sue for copyright infringement. Different laws,
   different consequences; maybe even different courts (e.g. federal
   vs. state, in the US).

By having copied the work, you have accepted the license.