Re: GNU licenses

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:04:28 +0200 (CEST)

   Perhaps, if I was planning a commercial project. Of course if I was
   making a program that I had no profit plans for whatsoever,
   nothing, I wouldn't mind GPLing it.

The GNU GPL doesn't prohibit commerical explotation of software;
infact if a license does not allows such explotation it is considered
non-free.

   > Why is it so difficult to grasp the idea that you cannot demand a
   > right for yourself that you are not prepared to grant to others?

   Because I could grant someone a right they wanted for themselves
   WITHOUT demanding that they grant it to others. But I suppose
   everyone is different, and I suppose you can decide to force people
   to opensource (and _potentially_ VASTLY decrease the market-value)
   or not use your code.

Nobody here is forcing anyone, be it to make it free software or even
open source.  If you wish to use the code, you must abide the license.
You are completely free to not use the code.

   Everyone's been saying that I've got all rights to MY ORIGINAL CODE
   but I don't in this case!

You have the rights to your own code, what you do not have the right
to is the other persons code which is licensed under a specific
license.  If you wish to use that code, then you must abide by that
license.