Re: What is source ?

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: What is source ?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:08:34 +0200

On 2006-09-12, mike4ty4@yahoo.com <mike4ty4@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Vincent Rivere" <vincent.rivere@free.fr> wrote:
>> Similar question with images. My program displays a PNG image in its about
>> box. It is a very complex image, I made it with Photoshop and a lot of
>> layers. Must I distribute the original PSD image in my source package, or
>> will the PNG image be sufficient ?
> (...)
>
> A PNG image is modifiable, by the way. It's not a "read-only" format (I
> don't believe there IS a "read-only" image format). A lot of image
> editors can open PNG.

Although a PNG image is editable and an open standard, it's
clear from Vincent's description that he does not consider
the PNG to be the _preferred_ form for modification of
the image. Therefore, he should include the PSD image (maybe
losslessly compressed) in the source package and provide
the PNG with the other binaries.

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply