Re: Question reguarding GNU FDL license

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Question reguarding GNU FDL license
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:47:31 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
> > David Kastrup wrote:
> > [...]
> >> In mine, the GPL reads:
> >>
> >> (clause 1)
> >>
> >>     You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy,
> >>     and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange
> >>     for a fee.
> >
> > That's not about copying, stupid. It's about a "physical act of
> > transferring a copy"
>
> Well, it would be pretty foolish to charge someone for copying
> something without actually giving him the copy afterwards...

Uh, retard. Copying and distribution (of copies made by guess
what? yes, it's called *copying*, stupid) are two different "acts".
We've already established that the later is not required to be
gratis (it, in fact, doesn't even need a license because 17 USC
109 is good enough for authorized copies, including copies of
derivative works prepared under the GPL license).

See the light now, GNU genius? Hint: copying is about making
copies. And "copies" are material objects, other than phonorecords,
in which a work is fixed by any method now known or later
developed, and from which the work can be perceived, reproduced,
or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a
machine or device. 17 USC 101. Repeat: "copies" are material
objects. The CD is a "copy." "Works" are the things fixed in a
"copy."  There can be many "works" fixed on a CD, each being a
"copy."

[...]
> > And licensing to do what? Idiot.
>
> To use and redistribute

Copyright is about copying (liability for distribution of pirated
copies made by someone else aside for a moment), not use. Use (as
far as it requires copying) of computer programs is permitted
under 17 USC 117 (this section is called "Limitations on exclusive
rights: Computer programs"). As for "redistribute", see above,
retard.