Re: GNU Free Database License

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: GNU Free Database License
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:24:37 +0200

On 2006-09-16, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
> A dictionary requires as much work as a phone book and isn't a very
> creative process, now, an encyclopedia, that would be another subject.

The amount of work isn't important, it's about the creativity.
Writing all those definitions in the dictionary requires
creativity, so you get copyright on the dictionary.

Just to be clear: when I say dictionary, I don't mean a list
of words, I mean words with definitions, explanations etc.
Wordlists are not protected by copyright of course.

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply