NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 20 September 2006 NYU Free Culture Club: Jamie "Spl

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 20 September 2006 NYU Free Culture Club: Jamie "Spleens" Boyle on the DMCA
Date: 18 Sep 2006 01:46:43 -0400

  what="official NYU Free Culture Club notice"
  edits="reformatted, mime mark up removed">

 Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:54:27 -0400
 From: "Fred Benenson" <frederick@nyu.edu>
 To: "Free Culture @ NYU's list serv" <free-culture@forums.nyu.edu>
 Subject: [free-culture] Professor James Boyle with FC @ NYU

 Greetings again,

 I'm writing to invite you to a very special meeting of Free
 Culture @ NYU.  On Wednesday, September 20th at 7pm we'll be
 co-sponsoring an event with The Association for Computing
 Machinery (ACM) to bring professor James Boyle from Duke Law
 school to NYU.  We'll be meeting at Warren Weaver Hall (also
 known as the Courant Institute) in room 513.  The topic will be
 the DMCA, also know as the "copyright" law everyone loves to
 hate.  Some people consider it unconstitutional (as it bans
 certain types of speech, eg explaining how to subvert DRM),
 others consider merely a bad law that we have to work around.
 We'll be discussing it, its impact, and whether or not we're
 paying too much attention to it. Check out the Wikipedia entry on
 the DMCA here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA if you'd like
 to learn more about the law.

 A bit of background on Professor Boyle: He is a board member of
 Creative Commons, columnist for the Financial Times online and
 winner of the 2003 World Technology Award for Law for his work on
 "cultural environmentalism."  His most recent work is a comic
 book about fair use.

 Space is limited, so please RSVP to freecultureNYU@gmail.com and
 have "RSVP" somewhere in the e-mail so our filters can pick it
 up.

 Check out the poster here :
 http://www.freeculturenyu.org/jamieboyle2.pdf

 or at

 http://www.freeculturenyu.org

 Feel free to forward this e-mail to whomever you'd think would be
 interested in this event.

 Best,

 Fred Benenson
 Free Culture @ NYU