Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Chicago meetings

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Chicago meetings
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:03:40 +0200

http://news.com.com/Linux+lab+GPL+clarification+needed+ASAP/2100-7344_3-6117785.html?tag=nefd.top
(Linux lab: GPL clarification needed ASAP)

------
FSF attorney Eben Moglen met members of a committee of corporate
powers on Tuesday and Wednesday in Chicago, said OSDL Chief Executive
Stuart Cohen. There, they raised an issue that ODSL has heard about
from many concerned parties, Cohen said: How will GPLv2 and GPLv3
software coexist?

"We've been at this nine months. It's time to get specific. It's time
for the FSF to write it down and say what the rules are," Cohen said.

Moglen, however, has a different assessment and indicated he's not
likely to clarify the issue for now.

"It is premature to comment, in my view, on the relation between
GPLv2-licensed code and GPLv3-licensed code until the final
provisions of GPLv3 are known, but this at any rate does not strike
me as an issue," he told CNET News.com.

It's not the first time Moglen has stood his ground in the face of
pressure from corporate interests who want a say in GPLv3. Moglen
also has downplayed concerns from Hewlett-Packard that the current
draft of GPLv3 has unacceptable patent provisions.

The connection between GPLv2 and GPLv3 software has been under
discussion at the Chicago meetings, Cohen said.
------