Re: GNU licenses

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:15:14 +0200

On 2006-09-21, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
>    The point is: you will not get ordered to start complying with the
>    GPL.
>
> The option to start complying with the GNU GPL exists, so does paying
> for damages, or going to jail.

The first option is the get-out-of-jail card for the defendant.
Just like in Monopoly, you can't be forced to play that card.
It can be strategically wiser to sit in jail than to hand over
the card (lots of expensive streets up ahead maybe).

A judge cannot force someone to accept terms set by a third party.
He can only say "well, if you don't like the license, I'll hit you
with a $10,000 fine and three months in jail", but if the defendant
is stubborn, the judge can't do anything about that.

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply