Re: Open source - Free software

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:49:46 +0200 (CEST)

   On 26 Sep 2006 22:58:00 -0700,
    Why Tea <ytlim1@gmail.com> wrote:

   >> How about this: Free software is a subset of open source software, so
   >> all free software is open source.
   >
   > This doesn't sound right. I don't think neither one is the subset of
   > the other.
   >
   > If freeware is a subset of Open Source, then all freeware is Open
   > Source. That's clearly NOT the case, is it?

   "freeware" and "Free Software" are not the same thing. Free Software
   refers to (mostly) GPL stuff.

Free software is not even close to "mostly" GPL stuff, it includes a
vast array of differently licensed programs, ranging from simple
permissive and GPL incompatible licenses like the Modified BSD
license, to copyleft licenses like the GPL.  It includes all software
which allow you to do the following:

 * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

 * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
   needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for
   this.

 * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
   (freedom 2).

 * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
   to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3).
   Access to the source code is a precondition for this.