Re: Open source - Free software

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:18:14 -0400

In article <1159336680.272854.17260@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Why Tea" <ytlim1@gmail.com> wrote:

> > How about this: Free software is a subset of open source software, so
> > all free software is open source.
>
> This doesn't sound right. I don't think neither one is the subset of
> the other.
>
> If freeware is a subset of Open Source, then all freeware is Open
> Source. That's clearly NOT the case, is it?

I think it is.  Note that I was talking about "free software", the term
coined by Richard Stallman and the Free Software Foundation, not
"freeware", which is just software you don't have to pay for.  When you
redistribute free software you're required to make source code
available, so obviously it's open source.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA