Re: Open source - Free software

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:46:05 -0400

In article <4nvlhbFc7lejU1@individual.net>,
 Robert Hull <Robert@please.do-not-spam.me.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 September 2006 05:50, Barry Margolin
> <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote in comp.os.linux.misc:
>
> > How about this: Free software is a subset of open source software, so
> > all free software is open source.
> Untrue - see opera for example

Can you provide more details.  I tried to find the Opera license on
opera.com, but didn't have much luck.  But I don't see how it could fit
the FSF definition of "free software" if it doesn't make the source code
available, which is the main point of "open source".

P.S. I've put back the cross-posting, since you set Followup-to to a
group I don't read, and I would never have seen your reply!

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA