Re: Open source - Free software

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:41:45 +0200 (CEST)

   >I think it is.  Note that I was talking about "free software", the
   >term coined by Richard Stallman and the Free Software Foundation,
   >not "freeware", which is just software you don't have to pay for.

   "Free Software" is open source.  Free software, like free milk, is
   something you aren't charged for.  It's a shame they chose such an
   ambiguous word.

"Free Software" is not "Open Source", since Open Source also means
non-free software.  Free software is also not like gratis milk, which
is what you mean.  Free software is defined as follows (from
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html):

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

* The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to
  your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a
  precondition for this.

* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your
  neighbor (freedom 2).

* The freedom to improve the program, and release your
  improvements to the public, so that the whole community
  benefits (freedom 3).  Access to the source code is a
  precondition for this.

Cheers.