Re: Open source - Free software

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:37:02 +0200 (CEST)

   >    Not all free software is commercial.
   >
   > All free software must be commercial, anyone can charge a fee for the
   > act of distributing it.  Otherwise, it is not free software.

   This discussion is tiresome. You've all fallen prey to the
   "commercial" word.

Actually, I have not fallen prey for anything.  I used the word as it
is suppsoed to be used.  It isn't being used to distinguish between
free and non-free software, but to distinguish between charging a fee,
services, etc that are associated with the software.

   Commercial is a very unpratical word to classify some
   software. That's why I prefer to say Free Software or Non-Free
   Software.

I agree that it is a very unpractical term, if you have one better to
refer to commerce, then please tell.  Free software (or non-free
software) is not the same as commerce, so using those two words to
mean commerce or non-commerce is even worse.

Cheers.