Re: Open source - Free software

From: Al Klein
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:23:32 -0400

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:04:45 -0500, Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu>
wrote:

>>>Not necessarily, but it can.
>>
>> Which doesn't support the argument that unfettered is the only way to
>> apply it to software.
>
>It doesn't support a lot of things.  If you were paying attention, I
>was merely pointing out that your casual dismissal of that application
>is wrong.

Sorry, no, my "casual" dismissal of that application being the only
one worth considering is correct.

>Again, I was merely pointing out that your casual dismissal of the
>current meaning of the phrase "free software" is wrong.
>I'm sorry that you don't like the meaning of the phrase, but to insist
>that the meaning you decide to give it is the meaning everyone must
>agree to is controlling, not communication.

Quite the contrary, I said that forcing everyone to accept only one
definition of the phrase is wrong.

>but given the way you use the language

I use it correctly.

>I can't be sure.

I'm sorry.  If English isn't your native language, perhaps we can find
one we both understand.

>  In this case, an
>argument against the opposing view was merely an argument to point out
>the opposing view was wrong.

It might have been, had you not misrepresented my view.
--
It's back - http://www.webdingers.com/filelist.html