Re: Open source - Free software

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:45:19 -0500

Al Klein <rukbat@pern.invalid> writes:
>>It doesn't support a lot of things.  If you were paying attention, I
>>was merely pointing out that your casual dismissal of that application
>>is wrong.
>
> Sorry, no, my "casual" dismissal of that application being the only
> one worth considering is correct.

Sorry, no, it isn't.  You have been given several examples where the
noun determines which of many possible meaning an adjective should
have.

>>I'm sorry that you don't like the meaning of the phrase, but to insist
>>that the meaning you decide to give it is the meaning everyone must
>>agree to is controlling, not communication.
>
> Quite the contrary, I said that forcing everyone to accept only one
> definition of the phrase is wrong.

If there's a commonly agreed upon meaning, that's the one that should
be used.  It's called communication.

>>but given the way you use the language
>
> I use it correctly.

As determined by you.

>>  In this case, an
>>argument against the opposing view was merely an argument to point out
>>the opposing view was wrong.
>
> It might have been, had you not misrepresented my view.

No I didn't; your view was simply wrong.

There's no point in discussing this with you, you seem to think that
you, rather than common usage, determine meanings.  This thread is
going nowhere but into my killfile.

Jay