Re: Open source - Free software

From: Al Klein
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:24:03 -0400

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:34:20 +0200, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

>Al Klein <rukbat@pern.invalid> writes:

>>>When we are talking about the sort of medium in which expressions are
>>>subject to copyright?
>>
>> No, when we're using the term free software or the word freeware.
>
>Software is a medium in which expressions are subject to copyright.

If I choose to release software I've written without copyright, that's
my choice and my right.

>Welcome to the 21st century.

Welcome to reality.

>>>Free speech, free press, free software, patent free, free arts?

>> Free gas, free milk, free beer?

>Those happen not to be subject to copyright.

Or the flu, but so what?  If I release a program, with no price, but
without source and with restrictions on redistribution, modification,
etc., it's still free.

>> The press, patents and the arts aren't items that get sold -
>> software, gas, milk and beer are.

>Software is not sold.

Software CAN BE SOLD - if I write it I can sell it.  (And do, all the
time.)

>>Think of the children's learning game, "which of these doesn't
>>belong?"  Software doesn't belong with the press, patents and the
>>arts.

>I am afraid that you need to get out of the stone age at some point of
>time.

I did.  A long time ago.  I didn't get into this business yesterday.
Or this century.  Or last decade.  Or ...  (Stop me when I pass the
day you were born.)

>The very _definition_ of software is that it is, in contrast to
>hardware, intangible.  Unlike gas, milk and beer.

But just like the written word - which can be free (without cost) and
it can be sold.
--
It's back - http://www.webdingers.com/filelist.html