Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- raya's research on "The Four Freedoms"

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- raya's research on "The Four Freedoms"
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:20:15 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    At the time frame in question, "operating system" and "kernel" was
>    used pretty much synonymously in computer science circles.
>
> Again, incorrect.  Maybe you are to young to remeber these things,

Maybe you are too conceited to make a valid argument.  It is not the
first time you are trying to pull this particularly condescending
bluff off on me.  While it is self-disqualifying anyway, let me just
tell you that I started computing on the Cyber 175 family of computers
(60bit architecture, running NOS at that time.  I just recently
discarded the old COMPASS assembly language manuals I still had flying
around in my basement), even did some processing with an old CDC6400,
have worked extensively with punch cards and even a bit with papertape
as programming media.

> but the definition of kernel and operating system has always been
> blurry in Computing Science circles.

So you admit that there has been no _fixed_ definition.  Maybe you are
too old to remember those things, but in those times, "operating
system" and "kernel" was used pretty much synonymously in computer
science circles.  I am not saying it was an established definition.  I
am saying that is was used pretty much synonymously.