Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- raya's research on "The Four Freedoms"

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- raya's research on "The Four Freedoms"
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:52:37 -0500

David Kastrup writes:
> ...we are talking about the language use at the start of the eighties,
> not nowadays.

>From _UNIX Programmer's Manual_ Copyright 1983, 1979 Bell Telephone
Laboratories, Inc.:

    PREFACE
This new form of the Seventh Edition manual attests to the gratifying
poularity of the UNIX operating system.

    INTRODUCTION TO VOLUME 1
1.  Commands
2.  System calls
3.  Subroutines
4.  Special Files
5.  File formats and conventions
6.  Games
Commands are programs intended to be invoked directly by the user...
System calls are entries into the UNIX supervisor.

>From _The UNIX System_ by S. R. Bourne Copyright 1983 Bell Telephone
Laboratories, Inc.:

    Chapter 1
    Introduction

UNIX describes a family of computer operating systems developed at Bell
Laboratories.  The UNIX system includes both the operating system and its
associated commands.  The operating system manages the resources...
The commands provided include basic file and data management, editors...

Looks to me as if Bell Labs was a bit ambiguous as to the exact definition
of an operating system.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org