Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:11:49 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> > Hey, if someone makes utterly idiotic claims, why don't you simply
> > suggest to that idiot to prove it in court of law? The glibc is
> > *your* defence.
>
> It is not even licensed under the GPL, ...

Exactly.

http://www.linuxrising.org/files/licensingfaq.html

<quote>

We paid the FSF to have them provide us these answers. So these answers
are verified correct by people like FSF lawyer and law professor Eben
Moglen.

Question: Can someone for example distribute

1. GStreamer, the LGPL library
2. Totem, a GPL playback application
3. The binary-only Sorenson decoder

together in one distribution/operating system ?

If not, what needs to be changed to make this possible ?

Answer: This would be a problem, because the GStreamer and Totem
licenses would forbid it. In order to link GStreamer to Totem, you
need to use section 3 of the LGPL to convert GStreamer to GPL.

</quote>