Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 21:49:03 +0200 (CEST)

   Just so you understand my curiosity: replace
   Gstreamer with glibc
   Totem with Linux kernel

Linux allows binary modules, Totem does not.  The replacment is not
correct.

   Sorenson with Adobe reader.

   I wanted to understand a simple problem and got into a deep
   swamp. No more.

It is quite simple, if you link, then it is considered derivate.  Just
"talking" to the program in question is not considered deriviate,
glibc simply talks to Linux, it doesn't link to it.  Much like you can
have non-free scripts for Bash, which is licensed under the GNU GPL,
the scripts mearly "talk" to bash, they share no data with bash.

The problem you are experiencing is that you are mixing two works, one
with a small clarification of what is considered deriviate.