Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 22:15:42 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    The Hurd is not even of much interest to RMS himself anymore.
>
> Richard has never been involved directly with the Hurd.  It is like
> saying that GNU wget is not of much interest to RMS, simply because
> he isn't involved in the project.

Not involved in the project?  He dismissed its maintainer from his
duties in 2003 (IIRC).

> Richard can't be involved in everything you know.
>
>    No harm if it becomes feasible at one point of time, but nothing
>    that is yet of major strategic interest to the GNU project.
>
> Maybe, maybe not.  But the Hurd (and GNU Mach) is the kernel of the
> GNU system, to which we are working towards.

But without any priority on Hurd.  Most online docs of Hurd on the GNU
websites are utterly out of date, even though not that much has
happened.  For example.

Here are a few interviews with Richard where he is asked about Hurd:

<URL:http://kerneltrap.org/node/4484>

<URL:http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html>

Very readable, by the way, apart from the Hurd angle.