Re: More GPL questions

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: More GPL questions
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:05:58 +0200

On 2006-10-16, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
>    This example program would dynamically link to both Qt and my sdk's
>    library.
>
> This would make this non-free SDK library a derivate of Qt and the
> example program.

I disagree. The example program is a derivative of both the
SDK library and the Qt library. Both libraries were written
independently of each other. Therefore neither is a preexisting
work with regards to the other in the meaning of 'derivative'
under US copyright law.

The consequence of the example being derivative of both is
that you can't distribute it as part of the SDK distribution.
You cannot simultaneously satisfy both licenses.

So, either do as Alfred suggested and relicense the SDK under
the GPL, or do not distribute the example at all.

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply