Re: More GPL questions

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: More GPL questions
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:50:40 +0200 (CEST)

   >    This example program would dynamically link to both Qt and my
   >    sdk's library.
   >
   > This would make this non-free SDK library a derivate of Qt and
   > the example program.

   Of course this is nonsense.  Alfred confuses several different
   issues that lead to a particular result.

The GPL FAQ agrees with me.

| You have a GPL'ed program that I'd like to link with my code to
| build a proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your
| program mean I have to GPL my program?

| Yes.

   While the SDK library is not derived from Qt, the complete example
   program is derived from both SDK library and Qt.

If the SDK library links to a GPL library/program, then it becomes a
deriviate work.  There is not much to argue about.  Please read the
GPL FAQ, and please read the GPL.

   So the net effect is that you have a problem, even though it is
   different from the problem Alfred proposes.

Simply false, please refrain from spreading lies.