Re: More GPL questions

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: More GPL questions
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:32:03 +0200

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
[...]
> Once you start transforming it through compilers and linkers the
> picture might change, depending on how much of the library is included
> in the transformed source code. If, for example, you execute 'cc -E',
> the resulting source code will contain the whole of "stdio.h", and as
> such it's now most definitely something that is affected by the stdio.h
> copyright (I leave it to Alexander to define if it's a derivative work,
> a compilation, or anything he wishes).

Mechanical transformation never create derivative works. Legally it's
just copying of the original expression without transforming/modifying
creativity resulting in a derivative work. So your 'cc -E' would simply
"mere aggregate" (in GNU speak) original protected expression from
multiple separate and independent works just like tar (same files
tar'ed) would do it (legal effect is the same).