Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:19:14 +0200

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> Robert Riches writes:
>> John, what distribution are you involved with as a maintainer or
>> developer?
>
> Debian (where "maintainer" and "developer" mean the same thing).
>
>> However, when I filed a bug report against Mandriva, I was told _I_
>> should file a report against upstream and then wait until the
>> upstream developer released the fix and the fix was put into the
>> next Mandriva release.  The Mandriva person didn't want to get
>> involved.
>
> Unfortunately, some Debian maintainers agree with him.

I think that the report should get to upstream as fast as possible and
analyzed as well as possible.  Whether it makes sense to leave it to a
downstream maintainer depends on his skill set and his involvement
with the code in question.

If upstream is going to fix the problem, it makes sense for downstream
to employ the same fix, either by taking a new version or backporting
a fix.  If there is going to be a new version, it makes sense to
minimize the divergence for the sake of future maintainers and current
users.