Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Bruce Perens and world table

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Bruce Perens and world table
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:16:07 +0200

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
[...]
> Dan's blog entry quoted a lawyer who's being consulted during the draftign
> of GPLv3 who said that parts of GPLv3 aren't legally sound.

He said that GPLv3 draft is even worse than GPLv2 which nobody
understands. The legally unsound bit was about the FSF "position"
regarding dynamic linking. He said that "if you asked ten lawyers,
ten would say it is not a derivative work. On that particular
legal position, I would characterize the FSF’s position as a weak
legal position" and, more generally, that "The Free Software
Foundation has taken certain positions on legal issues that are,
well, the best thing you can say about them is that there is no
clear basis in law for them."