Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question

From: Casper H . S . Dik
Subject: Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question
Date: 19 Oct 2006 14:50:07 GMT

Drazen Kacar <dave@fly.srk.fer.hr> writes:

>Eh? But it says:

>   You agree never to assert against Sun or its licensees or transferees
>   any moral rights therein.

>That's void under my local copyright law, but the provision certainly is
>giving copyright rights away. And then:

Why is that void in you rlocal law? (Just interested).

I'm not sure it is giving rights away; you retain the right to copy,
modify, etc; but you share that right with others.

>   This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of
>   California and applicable U.S. Federal law, without application of
>   choice of law rules.

>That, in case one does not live in the State of California, happens to be
>a pretty large giveaway.

Please read:

        http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/choice_of_venue

before you think that this is a large giveaway.

(Exec. Summary: If the California courts have no jurisdiction, this clause
does not change that)

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.