Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:07:09 +0200

On 2006-10-19, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> Drazen Kacar <dave@fly.srk.fer.hr> writes:
>>    You agree never to assert against Sun or its licensees or transferees
>>    any moral rights therein.
>>
>> That's void under my local copyright law, but the provision certainly is
>> giving copyright rights away.
>
> No, it is relinquishing those rights, not transferring them to anybody
> else.  Fine difference.  Anyway, does anybody else find "moral rights"
> a most peculiar expression in such a legal clause?

No, that's fairly standard terminology for copyright licenses
in jurisdictions that recognize moral rights as Berne intended it.

Basically, this says "if Sun ever forgets to credit you,
or performs something you consider a mutilation of your
work, you won't sue Sun". And like Drazen noted, that
kind of clause usually is void (especially the second part).

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply