Re: Question to GPL LGPL

From: rjack
Subject: Re: Question to GPL LGPL
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:05:42 -0500

Tom Kupfer wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using a middleware wich process multimedia data in a flowgraph, made
up of different plugins.
The base system stands is under LGPL. Some of the Plugins stands under GPL.

You can program applications wich use the middleware and its plugins.
The plugins are not linked directly to the applications, they are loaded
by the basesystem when they are used.
In the sourcecode of the application you only declare ...."Basesytem:
load this this and this Plugin, combine them and start them".
But (and i think thats the crux of the matter) you can/must also
communicate with the plugins over their interfaces.

Do I have to assume the applications that i build under GPL?

The weird thing is, shouldn't the basesystem stand under GPL anyway,
when it's using plugins that stand under GPL?

cheers,
Tom Kupfer

> Do I have to assume the applications that i build under GPL?

You should assume that the Free Software Foundation will claim that all
of your source code plus your wife and kids, supplemented by the family pets, has been released under the GPL to be used and abused by all who
accept their crackpot license.