Re: Confused about LGPL terms - can you help?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Confused about LGPL terms - can you help?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:58:05 +0100 (CET)

   >I read the LGPL terms here:
   >http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-license.php

   >I would like to use an LGPL library for a commercial (and not open
   >source) program I am writing.

   The primary difference between the GPL and LGPL is that you can use
   it in commercial projects.

This is not correct, both the GPL and the LGPL can be used in
commercial products.  All free software licenses allow this, it is one
of important freedoms, and if this is not allowed it makes the license
non-free.

   >My question is: Under such circumstances, will I be obliged by the
   >license to make the source code of *my program* ( = "trade
   >secret") available to the customer?

   No. The LGPL has a few basic tenets:

   1) Any changes to the library itself is subject to GPL terms.

   >If so, how is LPGL different from GPL?

   See above.

The above is incorrect.  The Lesser GPL and the GPL only differ in
what can be linked with.  A LGPL library can be used by
GPL-incompatibly licensed programs, the same is not true for a GPL
library, since it becomes a deriviate work of the library.

Cheers