Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "use freely"

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "use freely"
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:48:26 +0000

Seg, 2006-11-27 às 18:47 +0100, Alexander Terekhov escreveu:
> Quoting Red Hat's Subscription Agreement:
>
> <quote>
>
> The term "Installed Systems" means the number of Systems on which
> Customer installs or executes the Software. The term "System" means any
> hardware on which the Software is installed, which may be, without
> limitation, a server, a work station, a virtual machine, a blade, a
> partition or an engine, as applicable. The initial number of Installed
> Systems is the number of copies of the Software that Customer purchases.
>
> </quote>
>
> Note that "Software" is contractually defined term.

Note that "Installed Systems" are installed systems under support
contract. The wording is more complicated because they are trying to
avoid giving out support for free for smart-asses.

> And here's the hammer:
>
> <quote>
>
> If Customer wishes to increase the number of Installed System, then
> Customer will purchase from Red Hat additional Services for each
> additional Installed System. During the term of this Agreement and for
> one (1) year thereafter, Customer expressly grants to Red Hat the right
> to audit Customer's facilities and records from time to time in order to
> verify Customer's compliance with the terms and conditions of this
> Agreement.

What hammer? What I read is that they want to make sure your requests
are only for supported machines, instead of paying for one support
contract and use it for a hundred machines.

And yet, hey Alex, did you forget to read this phrase?

> subscription based products. At the same time, the subscription
> agreement places no restriction on the customer’s right to redistribute
> the products.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?