Re: Several industry sources: Sun Set To Move On GPL License For Open-S

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Several industry sources: Sun Set To Move On GPL License For Open-Source Java
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:36:15 +0100

Interesting...

http://www.javapolis.com/confluence/display/JP05/Graham+Hamilton

------
Graham Hamilton is a Vice President and Fellow within the Java platform
team at Sun Microsystems. His main focus is on the use of the Java
platform for large scale enterprise and web development. He also has a
strong focus on attracting new developers to the Java platform.

Graham joined the Java team in 1995 and has contributed to a wide
variety of Java technology initiatives, including technologies such as
CORBA support, the JDBC APIs, JavaBeans, the Java Plug-in, RMI-IIOP,
JAX-RPC, and others. Most recently he has acted as the specification
lead for J2SE releases 1.3 and 1.4. Graham has helped encourage
community participation in Java API development and he was one of the
designers of the Java Community Process.

Graham's current activities include acting as Sun's primary
representative on the JCP J2SE/J2EE Executive Committee, helping to
develop the specification for the next release of J2SE, leading an
Ease-of-Development initiative within the Java platform team, and
working with Sun's tools group on new tools initiatives.

Graham has a BSc in Computer Science from the University of Edinburgh
and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Cambridge. Before
joining Sun he worked for ICL in England, and for Digital Equipment in
California and Washington. He has 32 US patents on a variety of software
topics.
------

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/009063.html
(Sun exec departs over Java move)

More colorful:

http://java.sys-con.com/read/304709.htm

------
Open Source Java Claims Its First Casualty: Graham Hamilton, Sun Fellow
and VP, Quits

An uncompromising advocate of Java compatibility, Dr Graham Hamilton -
Sun Fellow and VP - has parted company with the new "age of
participation" Sun in the wake of its decision, announced last week, to
open-source its implementation of Java.

One of the principal voices against open-sourcing Java, the departure of
Hamilton was nonetheless greeted with sadness by proponents of the cause
like Danese Cooper, who notes  "I know many at Sun and in the larger
Java community were sad to see him go."

Geir Magnusson, while conceding that he and Hamitlon "didn't see eye to
eye," nonetheless declared him "one of my heros" and called it "a
significant loss for Sun, and the Java ecosystem as a whole."

"I'm proud to say that I've worked with Dr. Hamilton," Magnusson added,
"and hope to do so again in the future."
------

http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/geir/archives/001429_graham_too.html

------
Graham too?

I've just heard that one of my heros, Dr. Graham Hamilton, has left Sun.

Graham was the Sun rep on the JCP EC, which is how I met him. A Sun
Fellow and a VP, he was an uncompromising advocate of Java compatibility
who simply didn't understand that my advocacy of open source was aligned
with the "compatibility promise". Needless to say, we didn't see eye to
eye.

That said, this is a significant loss for Sun, and the Java ecosystem as
a whole. I'm proud to say that I've worked with Dr. Hamilton, and hope
to do so again in the future.
------