Re: gpl licensing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: gpl licensing
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:35:42 +0100

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    "Without copyright law the GPL would be unenforceable.
>    It would also be unnecessary"
>
> Such claims are not really true, without copyright law we would not
> have any means to protect the rights of users.  Copyright is a double
> edged sword.  Only with laws that explicitly ban non-free software
> would the GPL become unnecessary.

Not being able to enforce non-freedom by the way of the law would be
quite a big step forward.  Of course, this would leave technical
measures.  The easiest being omitting the source code...

I consider it likely that the overall benefits would be worth losing
both restrictions and protection possible by copyright.