Re: gpl as applied to ideas

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: gpl as applied to ideas
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 12:27:43 +0100 (CET)

   > However, I have one problem with GPL: it talks of source code,
   > linking, calling, mixing/combining free/non-free code and finally
   > free/non-free documents. But nobody seems to be talking of
   > concepts, ideas and layouts.

   The notion of copyright only applies to actual text or code, not
   ideas.  You have to use patents to protect ideas, and the rules for
   patents are very different than copyright.

   The GPL does talk about patents.  From the Preamble:

     Finally, any free program is threatened constantly by software
   patents.  We wish to avoid the danger that redistributors of a free
   program will individually obtain patent licenses, in effect making
   the program proprietary.  To prevent this, we have made it clear
   that any patent must be licensed for everyone's free use or not
   licensed at all.

And the GPLv3 will be even stronger.