Re: Using a script licensed under GPL in an application licensed under a

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: Using a script licensed under GPL in an application licensed under a license that's not compatible with GPL
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:33:33 +0100

On 14 Dec 2006 15:48:30 -0800
observatory@gmail.com wrote:

> Suppose I want to err on the safe side, let's consider for a while
> that what I asked before is not allowed.
>
> Does it seem less questionable (or more clearly allowed) for me to
> prepare a zip file containing GPL'ed script files and put it as a
> separate download on my site (telling the users to unzip this file in
> a certain directory of my app) ? The GPL'ed script files will be
> unmodified (containing the license and all the original code) - but
> the file and directory structure may not be as in the original
> distribution.

This would make patently clear that your scripts and the GPLed scripts
are unrelated works. The GPL gives you the right to prepare and
distribute derivative works, and re-arranging the layout of the files
and directories is not a problem as long as the result is distributed
under the GPL.

As to your own scripts, whether they call other scripts through

script
. script

or

`script`

they remain IMHO wholly original works as long as you have not copied
code from these scripts.

--
Stefaan A Eeckels