Re: Copyright notices on GPL'ed software

From: Dave (from the UK)
Subject: Re: Copyright notices on GPL'ed software
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 02:28:32 +0000

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:05:31 +0000
"Dave (from the UK)" <see-my-signature@southminster-branch-line.org.uk>
wrote:

I decided to take on further development of the project, so created a new project on Sourceforge

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

for a new chess program 'ChessDB' for which 99.9% of the code is the code from Scid, with minor changes here and there.

What copyright notices should be left and/or added to the source.

Why not read the GPL? This is what it says:

|  2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
| of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
| distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
| above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

Chers. I did read that, but was unsure what specifically to do about the copryright issue.
You can add your own copyright notice (which then also serves to meet
the requirement of clause 2a). Of course you should leave the original copyright notices in place.

That I was not so sure about.
You
don't want to create the impression you wrote the code, do you?

No I don't.

Likewise I don't want to give the impressions that the original author is responsible for bugs that I may have intoduced.

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form: month-year@southminster-branch-line.org.uk

http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)