Re: GPL version 3 comments

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL version 3 comments
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:55:49 +0100 (CET)

   >    I use Linux, not GNU, BSD, or other Unix-based operating
   >    systems, and want to release programs under the GPL.
   >
   > Linux is just a kernel, using it without any operating system is
   > impossible.

   Nonsense.  Embedded applications work directly on top of a kernel.

They require a bit more than a kernel to run, so no, they don't work
directly on top of a kernel.  If you implement the operating system
directly in the kernel, then the kernel and operating are the same.

   > GNU is one operating system that works with Linux,

   More nonsense.  Operating systems certainly require a kernel (in
   fact, the standard Computer Science definition pretty much covers
   _only_ the kernel unless we are talking Microkernel-based systems).
   GNU without kernel is not an operating system.

Sure it is.  The only nonsense is what you have said.

David, you really ought to go and take a CS class..