Re: Strawmen and Urban Legends

From: dt
Subject: Re: Strawmen and Urban Legends
Date: 27 Dec 2006 21:07:02 -0800

There is no such animal as "software patent"...

There are patents for processes, or method patents, in various
technical fields (business method patents are really a separate issue),
and today many processes can be controlled by some type of
microprocessor running some software code...
(BTW, the very first US Patent was also a process patent)

There are patents for devices, or apparatus patents, but today many
types of devices can be implemented using a microprocessor running
software code plus some peripherals.

A good example of this evolution would be Dudley's vocoder:
Vocoder ("voice coder") was invented (and patented) by Homer Dudley
of AT&T Bell Labs in early 30's. At the time it was a bunch of analog
circuitry probably taking half of the room.  And it was patented as
such: analog device.

Today the grandchildren of that first vocoder are digital software
implementations of mathematical algorithms running on tiny DSP chips in
each and every cell phone...

According to those anti-swpatent folks vocoder would be unpatentable
today...
Well, what do you want from people who write software like a poem?
(but still don't understand what copyright is...)   :)