Re: autotools automake autoconf

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: autotools automake autoconf
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:32:45 +0900

"Ron Baker,    Pluralitas!" <stoshu@bellsouth.net.po> writes:
> I first learned of m4 twenty years ago, when I was just learning Unix.
> Then after a couple years I actually used m4.  I thought it was pretty
> cool.  Then I never heard any mention of m4 until yesterday.  Strange.

It's a fun piece of trivia, but unless your autoconf files are very
complex, m4 is not a concept you really have to worry about; it's just
an implementation detail.  Basic autoconf is dead simple (and automake
even more so).

The one really stupid part though is the rigmarole of running the
various programs in the right order (as you seemed to have been asking
about before).  _Mostly_ it can be automated by using "autoreconf -i"
(and the -i is only required the first time), but even that is
complicated if you're not following full GNU distribution standards (and
there's no reason you should if you're not writing a GNU program), and
so want to use automake --foreign -- autoreconf doesn't seem to
explicitly give you a way to do that.

I use the following to do it:

    AUTOMAKE="automake --foreign" autoreconf -i

-Miles

--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.