Re: Do I have claim to the source-code?

From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: Do I have claim to the source-code?
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 16:46:25 -0500

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Pan.Bong@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Could you please help me? I have a Linux-running set-top-box at home.
> It is not mine, I rent it for a nominal month fee from my IP-TV
> provider (Telefónica O2, Czech Republic).
>
> Is my right to have the source-code? Is it their obligation to provide
> it? Am I right that since the software is provided to me as the user I
> have the rights defined in GPL?
>
> Theank you, Ondrej Michalek

You have the right to the source code for Linux.

A set top box is presumably running a bunch of other software as well;
there is no certainty that you have any rights surrounding source code
to the other software.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/emacs.html