Re: Strawmen and Urban Legends

From: Lee Hollaar
Subject: Re: Strawmen and Urban Legends
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:23:27 -0700 (MST)

In article <4ee51$459c2b16$943f4401$28645@STARBAND.NET> "Roger Schlafly"
<rogersc1@mindspring.com> writes:
>"Lee Hollaar" <hollaar@antitrust.cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>> Actually, much much earlier than that.  See United States patent
>> 3,568,156, "Text Matching Algorithm," granted on March 2, 1971,
>> to Kenneth Thompson (who went on to write an operating system of
>> some repute).
>
>There were also software patents long before that. Samuel F. B. Morse
>got US Patent 1647 in 1840 for the Morse Code.

But the one I cited is for "software" as we normally use the term
now -- something to control a computer -- and actually contains a
program implementing the method in 7090 assembly language (which
the printed wrong, putting a label on every line).

And it doesn't try to hide what it is.  Note the title:
"Text Matching ALGORITHM".