Re: Strawmen and Urban Legends

From: Raugiel
Subject: Re: Strawmen and Urban Legends
Date: 4 Jan 2007 10:42:36 -0800

My understanding is that software is also copyrightable. Although the
focus with copyright infringement tends to be on making copies of
programs and selling them or using them for free, copyright protection
also gives the owner the exclusive right to create derrivative works.

Obviously a copyright is not a patent and these two forms of protection
are somewhat different, but are there any reasons to attempt to enforce
a copyright rather than, or in addition to, a patent for software
(besides the fact that copyright protection is life long...).