Re: GSoC 2007 - I have a project idea and I'd like to know the GNU Proje

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GSoC 2007 - I have a project idea and I'd like to know the GNU Project's community opinion
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:44:06 +0100 (CET)

   First I want to excuse myself for the last message I sent. I
   shouldn't have said that GNU/Linux is complicated and I should
   always say GNU/Linux instead of Linux. That was irespectful and I
   want to apologize again for that.

Thank you.

   Since my last message was deleted, I send you a new one because I
   truely need your help.

Don't think your message was delete as such, but the person reading it
deleted it on his side.

   My project is to create a program between the GNU/Linux Manual
   (Man) and an HowTo. This program will be available for every
   GNU/Linux distributions and will be specific for each one. This
   program will allow the user to search information by typing an
   action or an objective (unlike the Man where you need to know the
   command name to access its information page). For instance, the
   user wants to change his IP address. With my program, he would type
   "change ip address" or "modify ip" (or something else) and then
   access an off-line tutorial that would shows him how to do that. So
   my program search system will be "objectives-oriented" or
   "action-oriented".

Not to dismiss your idea, but it sounds like you want texinfo.  In
texinfo you can specify a index of common keywords, like `change ip
address', etc, and search after those keywords.  For example, in your
example one would add the following after a node in a texinfo file:

@cindex Change IP address
@cindex Modify IP address

And then one could get a "conecpt" index with these entries.  Maybe
this could be extended in some manner to make it more convient for
users, I don't know.