Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Laurie: "Moglen Celebrates the Increase in

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Laurie: "Moglen Celebrates the Increase in the Chocolate Ration"
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:30:10 +0200

http://www.links.org/?p=221

-----
Moglen Celebrates the Increase in the Chocolate Ration

Eben Moglen blogs about the GPLv3
[http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/blog/2007/04/index.html] and what a
wonderful guy he is. But I’m not going to get into a GPLv3 vs. GPLv2 vs.
anything else debate, since I’m a BSD/Apache guy and don’t really care
what the GPL crazies’ drug of the month is. However, I do object to this

  | The release of Discussion Draft 3 has been greeted as warmly as I
  | dared hope: all the recorded outrage has been emitted by Microsoft
  | or its surrogates, which is at it should be.

So, it seems that the fact that at the 11th hour it has been decided,
yet again, that the Apache Licence
[http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html} is not compatible with the
GPL [http://gplv3.fsf.org/rationale], despite assurances
[http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/tokyo-rms-transcript.en.html#compatibility],
to the obvious distaste of the Apache Software Foundation, is not on his
radar - despite the fact that the ASF is a client of his company.
Perhaps he thinks that

  | SFLC and its clients will be using the new license before long

applies to the ASF. I think not. In fact, I think it will be a cold day
in hell before the ASF has any truck with any likely variant of the GPL.
-----

http://www.linuxtaliban.com/bilder.htm