Re: GPL question

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:36:26 +0200

Richard Tobin wrote:

> In article <4649D03C.7DCA6597@web.de>,
> Alexander Terekhov  <terekhov@web.de> wrote:
>
> >You may try to state that under your contract "mere aggregation" (in
> >GNU speak) triggers the same obligations as derivative work and that
> >it encompassing all works in a compilation/aggregation.
>
> I don't want to prevent *real* mere aggregation.  What I want to
> prevent is someone using it in another program without licensing that
> program in the same way.

When you say "program" I gather that you want to infect the entire
process or at least the entire enclave,

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/CEEA8130/3.1.1
("3.1.1 Language Environment Program Management Model Terminology")

"....
 Some terms used to describe the program management model are common
 programming terms; other terms are described differently in other
 languages. It is important that you understand the meaning of the
 terminology in a Language Environment context as compared to other
 contexts. For more detailed definitions of these and other Language
 Environment terms, consult the "Language Environment Glossary" in
 topic GLOSSARY.

    General Programming Terms:

    Application program
        A collection of one or more programs cooperating to achieve
        particular objectives, such as inventory control or payroll.

    Environment
        In Language Environment, normally a reference to the run-time
        environment of HLLs at the enclave level.

    Language Environment Terms and Their HLL Equivalents:

    Routine
        In Language Environment, refers to either a procedure,
        function, or subroutine.

        Equivalent HLL terms: COBOL--program; C/C++--function;
        PL/I--procedure, BEGIN block.

    Enclave
        The enclave defines the scope of HLL semantics. In Language
        Environment, a collection of routines, one of which is named
        as the main routine. The enclave contains at least one thread.

        Equivalent HLL terms: COBOL--run unit, C/C++--program,
        consisting of a main C function and its subfunctions,
        PL/I--main procedure and its subroutines, and
        Fortran--program and its subroutines.

    Process
        The highest level of the Language Environment program
        management model. A process is a collection of resources,
        both program code and data, and consists of at least one
        enclave. "

correct?

> >Then you just
> >hope that it can withstand challenges under doctrines of preemption,
> >misuse, and whatnot (such as lack of contract formation and
> >distribution under 17 USC 109/117 instead, etc.).
>
> It sounds as though you don't think I should be able to restrict my
> software in this way.  Why not?

You want to be able to restrict software of others, not only yours.