Re: GPL question

From: Richard Tobin
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: 15 May 2007 15:52:20 GMT

In article <4649D03C.7DCA6597@web.de>,
Alexander Terekhov  <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

>You may try to state that under your contract "mere aggregation" (in
>GNU speak) triggers the same obligations as derivative work and that
>it encompassing all works in a compilation/aggregation.

I don't want to prevent *real* mere aggregation.  What I want to
prevent is someone using it in another program without licensing that
program in the same way.

>Then you just
>hope that it can withstand challenges under doctrines of preemption,
>misuse, and whatnot (such as lack of contract formation and
>distribution under 17 USC 109/117 instead, etc.).

It sounds as though you don't think I should be able to restrict my
software in this way.  Why not?

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.