Re: GPL question

From: Bilgehan . Balban
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: 15 May 2007 14:03:24 -0700

On May 15, 8:07 pm, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <a...@gnu.org> wrote:
>    Suppose I used some GPL code (e.g. linux kernel linked lists) in my
>    own project, which is also under GPL. However I have the copyright
>    for the bits that I wrote, possibly more than a non-trivial %90 of
>    it. Can I still dual license the project?
>
> No.  The 10% is copyrighted by someone else, and you cannot change the
> license of that.

Thanks to all for your comments. I am using others' GPL code in my
project since my intention is to release it also under GPL. Its just
that I also want to have control over the parts that I own the
copyright for (the first that comes to mind is being able to license
it in another license). It seems I do have the right to do what I want
for the part that I own at least.

This also comes down to another point I am not clear about:  if I am
using the interface of a GPL'ed library implementation, do I own the
copyright for the parts where I used this interface? For instance if I
use functions from a C library that is under GPL?  I don't own the
library implementation, but what about any instance of symbols I use
in my code?

For example if I am not wrong, ReiserFS can be licensed under non-GPL
licenses if its author wants to do so, and yet it is tightly coupled
with the linux kernel, using many functions from it (linked lists,
spinlocks etc.).  Perhaps this is possible?

Thanks,
Bahadir